Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Delhi Belly

Typical Street Scene


Camels are still used here for transportation

Peacocks in our Garden

Bedroom in our tent
 

Kitcherie
I woke up at 3am with a bad case of Delhi Belly. I have been very careful of what I eat (except for a lot of cashews). What ever it was, I was sick. We were supposed to leave Rambagh Palace at 10:30am and drive for 3-1/2 hours to The Oberoi Vanyavilas in Ranthambhore. We carry a lot of meds with us to treat Delhi Belly and eventually I thought I was getting a little better. We were then faced with classic travelers dilemma: Do I attempt the car trip on bumpy roads, winding through the Rajasthan desert, or do I delay our departure?The Rambagh is not a bad place to be stuck!

We decided I was stable enough that we would attempt the drive. I had visions of me needing to hide behind a tree somewhere during the ride if the Delhi Belly re-occurred. Happy to relate, the meds kicked in, I am on the road to recovery and the ride was uneventful.

We drove the desert to Ranthambhore. We are going on a Safari. The animal preserve at Ranthambhore is a major tiger home. Sometimes you see them on the Safari, sometimes you don’t. But the Safari trip itself should be great fun.

We get to see, hopefully, Parsifal and Polenta’s big brothers. We are staying in a luxury tent. On a previous trip, Courtney, Ferris and us had stayed in a luxury tent in Pushkar - it was horrible. Cold, no running water, etc. It was hardly luxury. This time it is luxury: warm, wifi (always important to me), wooden floor, etc. The service here at the Oberoi is exceptional. When they heard I was sick, they immediately provided me with hydration liquids. In addition to the hydration liquids they served me Kitcherie for dinner. This is basically a lentil and rice dish that is the Indian equivalent of Grandma’s Chicken Soup. It is very bland.

The Oberoi is set on 45 acres of land, and is a nature and animal preserve itself. They have all kinds of nature walks etc. At one point, Cathy looked out into our yard. There were 6 Peacocks. 5 females and one male spreading is tail like a fan and strutting his stuff.

Tomorrow in the morning we will explore the hotel grounds, in the afternoon, it is off on our Safari to see the tigers (hopefully).


No comments:

Post a Comment